Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Oh, what do you do in the summertime?

Just a small update of what we have been doing to fill in our summer days around here. We were able to go to the 24th of July parade--can you believe it was my first time ever? I'm not sure how I worked that, but it was fun...and hot...
I geared the kids up for candy--and there was no candy. I felt kinda bad about that. But there were a ton of police motorcycles--they almost ran over my toe once--Kennedy screamed cause she thought they were going to run her over and she also made me cover her ears with my hands. The best is when they would turn on their sirens while right in front of you--I seriously have hearing loss from this parade!
Sweet Henry B. Eyering was there--my claim to fame--he waved at me :) I'm pretty sure it was me....
Bridger loved every second of this parade until it started getting hotter and hotter and there was no candy. We stuck around for an hour and a half and then had to make our exit--It was for the best. Next year, we'll find a shady spot.
We stopped at Ben's Cookies on our way home (sooooo good!) and then the kids fell fast asleep--even with chocolate on their little faces. I love the way they can sleep at any angel--I wish I was a little more flexible that way!
Notice Kennedy's death grip on her princess? Even while she's sleeping?

Last Saturday we went hiking (with my mom and brother and sister-in-law) up Millcreek Canyon--it was so pretty, but really steep. I enjoy more the leisurely hikes that don't involve heavy breathing and sweating :) I guess it's good to branch out every once in a while. Here's Bridger all ready to go with his camelback. He got this for his birthday from Grandma and Grandpa. He LOVES it! But, I have had to banish him from it except for hiking purposes. Classic story: We filled up the camelback and he drank the whole thing after breakfast one day. Had to go to the airport. He went potty before we left. And then we had to stop 4 more times (including at an empty grocery store parking lot where I was nervous of the transients) on our 30 minute drive. I told myself "never again".
Jeremy had Kennedy on his back and I brought an extra backpack to carry Bridger just in case he got tired. Well, he did get tired...but, I was tired too--so I made him keep walking. He walked the whole way--almost 4 miles! And I carried that backpack for nothing.

This week we went to Thanksgiving Point--how have we never been to the discovery gardens? Craziness. Well, we made it, with my sister Rebecca, and we had a great time. I think we will be going once a week from now on.

And the latest craze in the Nielson household is having tea parties. I have a miniature porcelain tea set that I let the kids play with every now and again, but this time they wanted a real party. So, I told them to run upstairs and get "fancy" and I would set out the tea party. I put out a nice tablecloth, with a vase of flowers and our nice/breakable dishes. We had chocolate milk, m&ms and goldfish and then I turned on 'Waltz in A Flat Major'--Bridger requested 'Who Let The Dogs Out' but I thought classical was a little more appropriate--he didn't agree.
So, look how they came downstairs.

Bridger: fishing hat? check. Tie? check. Ghetto ripped up camo pants? double check.

Kennedy: pink sweater from the '70s? check. Cool shades? check. 15 necklaces? check. Crumpled up tutu? double check.

Yes, my kids thought they looked good!
I tried to teach them how to eat daintily and how to use their very best manners. I also tried to teach them how to drink with their pinky up--but they were too excited about the m&ms. And can you blame them?




post signature

11 comments:

Emily Fotheringham said...

You are the best mom! Can I come live at your house for a while?

Two Friends Dream Design said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Kohler Family said...

What a fun mom you are!! I LOVe the way your kids came down dressed up for the tea party! ...and I had to flinch when I saw the way Bridger was asleep in the car, too funny! We have a pass to Thanksgiving Point, maybe we'll see ya there sometime!! :)

Lindz said...

You are such a fun mom! That tea party idea is so cute....and letting them dress all "fancy" on their own...so cute! They looked adorable! =)

critts said...

I love the tea party pictures! And I'm super impressed your kids lasted an hour and a half at the parade! I wouldn't last that long!

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Oh my gosh, it's so good to see and hear you and your family. I'm laughing and I love little Kennedy so much. I'm so glad that you mom came to visit me. I'm excited to Canada together.

I've got to come to your house.

Greg Horst Family said...

Linds...so fun! You really are a wonderful mom and those two are so adorable!!!

dream quilt create said...

What fun summer activities! Bridger and Kennedy are so cute, and so are you! President Eyring was waving at me, by the way..... Briger's get up for the tea party is hilarious, and so is Kennedy's! I bet Jeremy did stuff like that, hence the Sunday Hawaiin shirt...

Kara said...

Seriously, you just got me so excited for tea parties! I LOVE their version of "fancy" dress :)

Melissa said...

I just love to read your blog. You are so funny!!

You are such a good mom to brave the 24th parade. We did it once when Dax was 4, and Jada was 2. Yes, we have never gone since!! Your kids are so cute. I love them in their sunglasses!! Bridger looks like such a stud!

What a cute idea to have tea parties. Once again...such a good mom!! They look awesome, all dressed in their best!!

Amy said...

This sounds like a broken record, but you really are a great mom. How fun for your kids to have you for a mom. I love the cute outfits they picked out. :) They are so adorable!