Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Our snow-shoeing adventure!


We were so lucky to have Jeremy home with us over the Christmas Break!  It was such a nice, relaxing "stay-cation".  We went swimming, sledding, shopping and snow-shoeing (thanks for the recommendation Sini!) 


It was pretty cold up in the mountains with LOTS of snow!  But we were prepared and wore a lot of layers--I actually got hot at the end and never even needed to wear my gloves.  Let me just give a little run down of what went on that day....


We pull up to the place--ask everyone if they need to go to the bathroom--they say no.  We put on 123 layers of clothes.  Walk inside.  Rent show-shoes.  Kennedy has to go to the bathroom.  I take her.  I take of 123 of her layers.  She doesn't have to go after all.  Put the layers back on.  Grunt.


Put snow-shoes on.  Spend 30 minutes jimmy rigging Kennedy's snow shoes (her's weren't quite small enough, but it was the smallest they had...).  Finally we're ready to go!


Start out on the trail.  Walk 10 yards.  Kennedy is tired.  She is walking super slow.  Grunt.  I give her a pep talk.  Jeremy gives her a pep talk.  Finally we take off her snow shoes and let her walk in her boots.  She likes it better that way.  Wish we would have known....


It is bright and sunny and snowy outside!  Gorgeous!  Kennedy walks faster if we let her be the leader.  So...we do.  We make snow angels.  We throw snow balls.  We find a spider in the snow.  We think we hear a moose...but it's a cross country skiier.  Sigh!


Charlotte loves sitting in the backpack!  The kids love stopping for water breaks.  They drink out of a camel pak.  When I'm thirsty, I wait.  I don't want to drink their backwash :)


We walk across a frozen lake covered in snow.  I tell this to Bridger--then wonder if it will scare him.  He listens and then proceeds to jump up and down as hard as he can.  Great.  Now I'm scared that the ice will crack.  Plan out in my head how to save us all from drowning...or freezing to death...Decide that since we can still see the rental place from where we are that someone else can rescue us...



The kids get tired.  They don't think they can go on much longer.  Jeremy tells them they can have hot chocolate if they make it to the car.  They get a burst of energy.




I could keep walking, for hours more.  But not with the kids.  At least, not this time.






By the time we got back, I wondered what time it was.  Found out it had only been an hour.  Guess time goes by slower when you stop and smell the roses...  Maybe we'll wait till next year to take the kids again.  But there's a moonlight snow shoeing up at Sundance in February.  You better believe that's what Jer and I will be doing for Valentine's Day!

I just need to find a baby sitter.... Nessy??  You busy?
post signature

8 comments:

Melissa said...

You guys are so good getting out doing awesome activities like snow shoeing even when you have such little kids! It sounds like so much fun. I love your cute hat with your braids :), very cute.

sinika said...

Taking the kiddies is a whole new adventure with anything... glad you guys were brave enough to try. BEAUTIFUL photos!!

Kenzy said...

What a fun day out in the snow. Lindsay you look so cute with your purple hat. I can't believe how big Charlotte is getting. So cute!

dream quilt create said...

Sure looked like fun (maybe more fun without the kiddies?) I love your camera lens and your pretty coat:) Your hat is really beautiful!

Auntie Lolo said...

Um, most gorgeous picture ever of you??!!! Yes, I do believe so!! Farris thinks so too. I love all the photos, so pretty.

Sean Horst said...

I'm jealous:) But only for a minute.. than i'm happy to be able to only wear my sweet Lockheed wind breaker:)

Anonymous said...

hmmm it all depends...am i celebrating valentines day or single awareness day ;)
--vanessa

Anonymous said...

hmmmm it depends....will if i am going to celebrate valentine's day or single awareness day ;)--vanessa