Saturday, January 31, 2009

My mom, the quilt designer

My mom was given the opportunity to design a quilt for South Jordan City--for their 150 year celebration. They had the unveiling of it last Thursday night. Unfortunately, she was in Florida by then, so I was the lucky one to fill in for her. I had to stand up and give the symbolic description of all of her quilt squares.
I think the quilt turned out amazing! There were 8 of us who helped make blocks, but my mom did the big center of City Hall (and more) and put it all together. I know that at least a thousand hours went into this quilt.

The remaining Horst clan was there to support--My brother Jordan and Kimalee and my sister Rebecca and Dave. Jeremy's parents were also there. And Bridger and Kennedy enjoyed eating brownie after brownie (I guess that's what you get when grandma, aunts and uncles are around)!


Good work Mom!

8 comments:

The Kohler Family said...

Wow! Thats awesome!! Too bad your mom couldn't be there...but she was well represented!

Auntie Lolo said...

That quilt is amazing!! I really want some upclose pictures though, do you have any? You look gorgeous!! Good job Cynthia!!

lindsey v said...

So amazing! That was so nice of your mom to do that for the city that they don't even live in anymore. :). Just kidding, I know that the city has a special place in their history for your parents. Very cool.

Lindz said...

That's amazing! Now we can all see where your talent comes from!! =)

Naoma said...

You and your mom are both AMAZING. What a wonderful talent to have. it is gorgeous.

critts said...

Wow that is beautiful! I can't even imagine how much work that must have taken.

dream quilt create said...

Thanks for representing me and taking all those nice pictures. Makes me miss all of you even more!

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

I feel so bad that I couldn't be there with you for the unvailing. It was an honor for me to help with it. I need to go see it. I would have loved to have heard your message.